Making Room on Defence

SensChirp August 18, 2011 0

With training camp now just about a month away, the issue of a crowded blueline continues to be a hot button topic among fans of the Senators.  Although for Sens GM Bryan Murray, the situation isn't as urgent as some are making it out to be.

The Sens would like to make space for a couple of young guys but it appears as though the plan is to make them earn it rather than just hand them the spot.

With David Rundblad and Jared Cowen both expected to push for spots in camp, the Sens could be forced into a situation where they have to move a veteran to make space.  It really sounds like Murray won't make that move until the young guys prove they're ready to make the jump

The names that come up most often are Filip Kuba and Sergei Gonchar. 

With another two years on a deal that pays him $5.5 million a season, Gonchar would be tough to move and the way MacLean has been talking, it seems as though he is fairly high on Gonchar.  As I mentioned in the Looking Ahead piece, he is a guy who could bounce back.

Then there's Kuba.

If Rundblad and Cowen both outplay Kuba in camp, then Murray's hand may be forced. If he trades Kuba, he would almost certainly have to take a bad contract back.  Waiving him may be an option but I would assume that is a last resort.  Brian Lee could also be available but he looked much better down the stretch so I can't imagine the organization being too keen on giving him away at this point.

Either way, there really isn't much going on right now.  I get the sense that both Rundblad and Cowen will need to have strong camps before Murray makes a decision on how to make space.

• On Tuesday, Sens Captain Daniel Alfredsson skated for the first time since his off season back surgery.  Everything went well and Alfie appears to be progressing as expected.
  • Pierre Dorion was on the Team 1200 this morning and indicated there hasn't been any movement on Jakob Silfverberg.  The team has been trying to convince him to play in Ottawa this year but his plan remains to return to Sweden for another season.
  • Dorion also had good things to say about Mark Borowiecki. Lately it seems as though any time someone in the Sens organization does an interview, they bring this kid up.  Tough for him to grab a spot this year but he should turn some heads in camp.
  • First Round selection Mika Zibanejad has settled on #93 for next season.
  • A reminder you can cast your vote in the SensChirp Search in the forum now. Polls are open until Friday at noon.  Day 3's article has a fairly substantial lead right now but there is plenty of time left.