It may be early June, but it seems like there is no shortage of Sens news floating around the internet the past couple days. With a coach to hire, a draft to prepare for and free agent decisions to be made, Sens GM Bryan Murray figures to be a busy man over the next month or so.
Good news for Sens fans because it certainly helps pass the time over the long off season.
- Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes mentioned on Twitter last night that Bryan Murray expects to contact the agent of Sens forward Ryan Shannon at some point today. Shannon is scheduled to be a UFA on July 1. The speedy forward had a strong second half and would definitely like to stick around. Oh and by the way, He also recently joined the Twitterverse. You can follow him here.
- Also from Ian Mendes- The Sens are unlikely to retain the services of Curtis McElhinney. With Lehner expected to be down in Bingo for another season, Ottawa will definitely be in the market for a back up goalie.
- Murray also mentioned that he will contact Binghamton Senators head coach Kurt Kleinendorst at some point on Thursday to schedule an interview. I assume the plan is to get that done as soon as possible because some have suggested the Sens would like to make a decision this week.
- Also on the coaching front, Murray indicated that he has it narrowed down to three candidates. I believe Maclean and Kleinendorst are still in the mix but I can say with absolute certainty that one of the finalists is Craig MacTavish. I would still put him as the clear favourite at this point in time.
- The Edmonton Oilers have indicated they are listening to offers for the number one pick. We know Murray would like to move up on Draft Day but would he be willing to pay the price to move all the way up?
Will continue to update the site as more information becomes available.